Wow. I cannot believe that this is my last year of college (at least for now).
I moved into my apartment two days ago, and I’m really excited for my final year of school to begin. Packing and moving into the apartment went better than expected, but I still feel like I had a bunch of stuff. So here are my recommendations on what and what not to bring when moving into college:
What Not To Bring
- High school t-shirts – I rarely wore mine because I got a lot of new university shirts, so they just took up space in my dresser.
- Jewelry – You don’t want to take anything valuable, and I haven’t worn half of the jewelry I brought because I usually dress casually to class.
- Laundry detergent pods – Liquid detergent is better because the pods can ruin clothing (or, in my case, my bed sheets). I think that liquid detergent lasts longer as well.
- Over-the-door organizers – These won’t work for many doors in your room because the doors will either have hooks, peepholes, or they will be the doors that slide open.
- Small things that you can easily buy at the store – i.e. batteries, printer cartridges, tape, etc.
What To Bring
- Clothespins – they work well as chip clips, and you can use them to hang pictures on yarn or string lights all over your room.
- Coffee or tea – it is so much cheaper and easier to make your own caffeinated beverages than to buy them.
- Sunscreen – you may think that you won’t need it because summer is almost over, but there may be events you go to where you are outside for hours.
- Clothes for different occasions – I definitely brought WAY too many clothes, but you will need some different options for interviews, class, working out, sorority, etc.
- A sporty bookbag rather than a cute bookbag – this may be hard to explain, but my first bookbag was super girly with flowers and a little bohemian looking…but it was way too small, didn’t hold a water bottle and was very uncomfortable to wear when walking to class. I then purchased an Adidas bookbag with a laptop sleeve and have loved it!
- Cleaning supplies. Like 50 containers of Lysol wipes.
I may update this as I think of more things, but here is a list of some random items that I didn’t think about when I first moved in!