I’ll try to post mostly healthy recipes if I write about food, but I have to share one of my favorite desserts: apple bars. (At least apples are healthy.)
This recipe is a big hit among my roommates. I have been known to make these a 1 a.m. on a Saturday night, and sometimes they are gone within 24 hours. Even when I only had one egg on hand instead of two, people still ate all of them.
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cooking apple, chopped
- Cinnamon sugar for topping (mix some cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar)
- Melt margarine; remove from heat. Beat in sugars, eggs and vanilla with wooden spoon until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, chopped apple. Stir until thoroughly combined. Spread into greased 9×13 inch pan. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes. Cut when completely cool.
This recipe came from a newspaper that my mom had found. These are probably my favorite dessert (and breakfast!).
Tip: if you have leftover cinnamon sugar for the topping, save it to make homemade elephant ears! All you have to do is fry some tortillas in a pan of vegetable oil and roll it in the cinnamon sugar. Another favorite among my roommates!
I apologize for the poor photo quality; the only picture I had of apple bars was from when I sent a snapchat of them to my mom…